Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A New Kind of Normal

We are raised with this concept of “normal” – an idea of what is regular, standard, and common. It is what we are comfortable with, what we are used to, and what we know life to consist of. Normal are the things that we cease to notice in life – because they just are there.

Often times I have said that I just wished my life was “normal”. About half way through my time in Asia I began to struggle with longing to be normal. I wasn’t actually sure what I meant by that, but I struggled with the reality of how unorthodox my life was. I yearned to be what I knew, to have a life like what I had seen before. But no, I wasn’t your average American young woman. I wasn’t living a life that my culture had said was the ideal. While all my friends were declaring majors at good colleges back in the US, I was working a full-time job in Asia trying to figure out who I am and what to do with my life. My lifestyle was exciting and adventurous, but some days I just wanted to not be stared out when I walked down the street. I wanted to shop in a regular grocery store. I wanted to be with people who were like me – my age, my stage in life, my way of life. “I just want to be normal!” I would mumble.

But last week I walked by a man who was carrying a live chicken and big knife out to the sidewalk. I looked twice but I didn’t think twice. Last night I sat on my friends’ couch listening to Tibetan music being played in the square outside as women danced to the music in a large circle. At four o’clock every day the call to prayer can be heard over loud speakers. I go to the office every day to work with amazing women who have come from backgrounds of exploitation. I am often stopped on the sidewalk and asked to take my photo with some random excited stranger who makes me feel like a movie star. I eat lamb (and one time rat by accident) on a stick for dinner which has been cooked over coals on the side of the road. I am highly under-trained and under-qualified for my job, but I learn, I make mistakes, and figure it out as I go. The other day I was in my friend’s car driving home and realized that out of the 5 people in the car, 5 different countries were represented. I sat with a British friend, a Canadian friend, a German friend, and a Dutch friend. And this kind of diversity is a common occurrence in my social interactions.
I see and experience a dozen things every day that 2 years ago would have made me either laugh, cry, or go “Huh?” But I hardly even notice them anymore. You know why? Because this life is my normal now.  I’m used to eating yogurt out of a bag, speaking Chinglish, and getting to know people from all over the world. I drink hot water now (something I swore I would never do when I first move to Asia). I have my favorite gaifan (a veggie dish over rice) delivery guy. I’m used to squatty-potties. I don’t think twice when I see a man riding a bicycle with a couch to strapped his back.

I’ve learned that this idea of “normal” I was conditioned to believe in, pressured to pursue, doesn’t really exist. Normal is just what you make life to be. And often times life changes and you have to adjust your perspective and adopt a new normal.


I am soon to leave my normal life in East Asia – the life I know, the life I’m used to, the life I love – for a new and foreign way of life in a strange place called the United States of America. I have come to love my current normal and I know the lessons I have learned and experiences I have had in this normal will equip me for the next normal too.

No comments:

Post a Comment