Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sitting At the Table


Yesterday I was reminded why I love my job.

We all sat around beautifully decorated tables with red table clothes, candles, name cards and flowers sharing a delicious lunch together. It was International Women’s Day – a day to remember that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made and to celebrate the value and good things He put in us. We also gathered together to celebrate 3 birthdays and 2 weddings that took place among our staff in the last month. And on top of that, we celebrated the expansion that is taking place with the launch of our second branch this coming Monday! It is so exciting to now be able to reach and work with even more women in more cities!

I sat at my place at the table and listened as people went around the room sharing blessings and encouraging words to the birthday girls and newlyweds. Laughter filled the air and eyes shone around the room with the light of joy. I was suddenly overwhelmed by the love being shared and tears filled my eyes. I looked up at one woman who didn't smile at all for the first few months she was with us. Her face now held a giant widespread beam. With her cute dimples showing and her eyes lit up, she spoke with confidence and a sense of belonging. I choked back and blinked away my tears. This is why we are here. This is why I do what I do.

You may wonder why I need to be reminded of the significance of our work. Let me tell you, as much as it is rewarding, it is extremely hard work. Day in and day out working with broken people when I myself am a broken person takes its toll. There is always so much to do and never enough time. You invest and do your best to love them, and sometimes you still have to watch the people you love make poor choices out of their brokenness. The stress of the ever-growing To-Do Lists, the relational tensions that come about when people are in a growth curve, and, for me, the pressure of trying to do my best when I’m not even sure how to do the job I’m supposed to do is a lot to handle. And on top of that, no matter how many things get crossed off the To-Do list or women become transformed, there are always more things to do and more women still trapped in exploitation. Sometimes it all just feels like too much. Sometimes swimming upstream day after day is just too tiring. Sometimes the headaches and the heartaches are strong enough to keep me from getting out of bed in the morning.

But then, He gives me just barely enough grace to lift up my head and notice the change in her. And the change in me.

He is in the business of making us, all of us, whole. And it is tough going. And most of the time it seems like we are getting nowhere.

But I sat at my place at the table on Friday, and that’s just it. It was my place at the table. It was their place at the table. We belonged there. We have a seat at the table. We belonged in a family together; people of all different ages and backgrounds. We've all got our pasts. But we've come together to love one another; to see women filled with true Hope.

Another work week starts in just a few hours. I know the stress, frustration, miscommunication, and overwhelming-ness that await me. But it doesn't even matter. Because I love my job. I love being in the business of journeying with people as the Father makes us whole.  

I get to celebrate every day the talents, potential, value, and beauty He knit into all of His kids. And that’s pretty cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment