Saturday, January 7, 2012

Phase 1: Complete

Tonight is my last night in this city.

When I first arrived here I felt like I had landed on another planet or traveled to another world. I began to understand what it really means to be a waiguoren (foreigner). Nothing looked familiar. Nothing felt familiar. Nothing was familiar. Living here was my first introduction to this country. At first I wasn't quite sure if I liked this city. It definitely took some readjusting and a bit of time to sort through culture shock. But I have come to love this place. With all its quirks and unique little things. I love the parks everywhere. I love the old men who carry around their bird cages. I love the hilarious attempts at translating signs into English (The sign outside one store I shop at reads "Uno Meal Feed Line". I still haven't figured out what it's supposed to say.) I love how all the trees in the city light up at night. I love how the whole city lights up at night! I love that my bathroom makes me laugh every time I go in to it. There's a hole in the floor for the pipes to come up. You have to put your hand down the tank of the toilet to flush it. If you lean on the sink it will fall over. The shower head is duct-taped to the wall. And there a piece of paper taped over a big hole in the middle of the door. (but most important, there is hot water! which I am grateful for every day) I seriously chuckle almost every time I enter the bathroom. I love the diversity of the city. I love all the different demographics. I love mian pian (a type of noodles that this region is known for).
There are many things I did not enjoy - like being constantly stared and pointed at, yak meat, and the freezing cold. But even those things fade in comparison to all the great things about this place and these people. Sometimes I just tell myself that they are staring and pointing because they think I'm so beautiful and that it's not really because they think I'm a weird white foreigner (which is indeed the real reason). The cold has taken the most getting used to. It is about 12 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now (-11), and tonight is a "warm" night. Let's just say I will be one happy girl when I arrive in Thailand on Thursday. I greatly look forward to not having to wear multiple pairs of pants and socks.
I have thoroughly enjoyed living here. It's been an adventure. I will miss it.
Now on to the next adventure: Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment