Thursday, January 19, 2012

Adventures in the Land of Smiles: Round 1

Thailand is called the "Land of Smiles". For good reason too. The people are friendly and always seem to have a smile on their face. And I just can't seem but help but smile either!.There's just so much to smile about here!

I've been in Thailand for a week now. And I've fallen in love with the place. I've traveled up north, in the middle, and now down south. I've only gotten to see a bit of the country so far but it has been great. I've seen the big cities, small villages, and now the coastline. It is a color land filled with beautiful people.




Chiang Rai (northern Thailand)






Northern Thailand




Currently I am about 4 hours south of Bangkok along the coast (RIGHT along the coast. Like 100 yards from the beach). Needless to say, I am thoroughly enjoying the warm weather. It is hot and humid and I am loving it. So nice to see the ocean again!
I am SUPER busy with work this week, but I'm finding time to have fun too. Tonight some friends and I went night swimming in the sea. It was so fun! It was very dark and you could see tons of stars glittering in the sky. The water was full of glow-in-the-dark algae. The sky above us twinkled with heavenly lights and the water around us glowed with earthly sparkles. It was stunning. Then we sat one the beach and sang songs together to our Father.


I had my "Aha!" moment of realization today. It tends to take me awhile to process things. And then suddenly it all comes together in a moment and I get it. My realization of me moving to China took place about 3 week after I had been there. I was standing in a park surrounded by old Chinese people flying kites, and suddenly looked around and saw it and shouted "Oh my gosh! I'm in China!!!!"
It only took me a week this time for me to grasp the reality that I am in Thailand. I was on the back of a motorbike riding through a little fishing village and then all of a sudden a burst out laughing and realized "OH MY GOODNESS! I AM IN THAILAND!". There is just something about those moments that triggers my understanding of the reality of my surroundings and the reality of where I am, what's happened, and what is happening.

I just LOVE Thailand :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment