Friday, December 30, 2011

Longjohns, bus-stops, and snowflakes.

Needless to say, longjohns and sweaters have become my constant companions these days. The cold has definitely taken some getting used to. On average it is at least a few degrees below freezing here, even in the day. My southern Californian blood feels frozen in my veins sometimes. The other night, very late, I was waiting and waiting at the bus stop for my bus to come so I could go home and burry myself in my covers. But the bus just wouldn’t come and it was below freezing. My eyes started to water and my cheeks were burning. I had lost feeling in my toes and my legs were going numb too. I was getting quite impatient and miserable, and began to slip into a rather grumpy mood. But then something magical happened! It began to snow! (which is rare here since it’s so dry!) The white little specks danced through the air and swirled and landed on the ground all around me. The neon lights of the buildings (China is a sight to see at night! EVERYTHING lights up in neon colors!) and the lights in the trees twinkled and sparkled in the snowy moonlight. And then my eyes began to water for a different reason. I was suddenly breathless, not because of the cold, but because of the beauty of the night, the snow, the lights, and the people standing with me in the dark at that bus stop. My heart was filled with gratitude. I still couldn’t feel my toes, but I was so happy to be standing there in the snow. I was so happy to enjoy the little things. I was so happy that our Dad is forever good, beautiful, and loving. And I was happy my bus finally came too.

No comments:

Post a Comment